Certificates by 18 private universities illegal
The University Grants Commission (UGC) declared the certificates provided by 18 private universities illegal due to having no “valid vice-chancellors” of these institutions. “The certificates without having the signature of the respective VC, appointed by the President will not be acceptable,” it read.
According to the section 32 (2) under Private University Act, 2010, vice-chancellor, appointed by the President, is the chief executive and academic authority of any private university.
Moreover, those 18 private universities have not appointed any pro-vice chancellor or treasurer to their institution despite repeated directions of UGC.
The 18 universities are:
- Isha Khan International University,
- ZH Sikder Science and Technology University,
- North Western University,
- Notre Dame University,
- Rajshahi Science and Technology University,
- Ranada Prasad Shaha University,
- CCN Science and Technology University,
- Qadirabad Army University of Engineering and Technology,
- Syedpur Army University of Science and Technology,
- Bangladesh International University of Engineering and Technology, Comilla
- Asian University,
- Royal University,
- IBAIS University,
- East Delta University,
- People’s University,
- Premier University,
- South Asia University and
- German University of Bangladesh.