UGC Alerts Students to Admission at 25 Private Universities
The University Grants Commission of Bangladesh issued a notice on 08 August 2019 about the some of the private universities present status. The UGC also warning the students, the guardians to protect themselves from getting fleeced. UGC said that these universities are functioning in contravention of the UGC Act 2010. Bangladesh University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued a warning on the admission of students in 25 private universities in the country. Disobedience of law, keeping Outer campus, launching unauthorized subjects, cases have been asked not to be admitted to these universities for various reasons.
9 New Private Universities in the Waring List
There are 9 new universities in the list. They have not yet started the academic activities. These are:
- Rabindra Srijonkola University
- Rupayan A.K.M Shamsuzzoha University
- ZNRF University of Management Sciences (ZUMS)
- Ahsania Mission University of Science and Technology
- Shah Makhdum Management University, Rajshahi
- Khulna Khan Bahadur Ahsanullah University
- Barisal Trust University
- ISU International Standard University
- Brahmanbaria University
Ministry of Education and UGC officials said that after getting approval, permission is required to start education activities. The mentioned companies have not yet received that permission.
Out of these, 75 have vice-chancellors, 23 pro-vice chancellors and 48 treasurers while the rest of the private universities are operating with these top posts vacant.
Some of the private universities admitted students or running their academic activities in the unauthorized campus. Name of the universities are:
- The University of South Asia runs an unauthorized campus on Road 5 at Banani.
- World University of Bangladesh (Uttara),
- University of Development Alternatives (Dhanmondi),
- Eastern University (Dhanmondi),
- Daffodil International University (Sobhanbagh),
- Asian University of Bangladesh (Uttara),
- Uttara University (Uttara)
- Shanta Mariam University of Creative Technology (Uttara)
- NPI University of Bangladesh (Farmgate)
- Victoria University of Bangladesh (Panthopath).
Conflict with BOT Members and litigation in the court
There are five universities in conflict with the management board (BOT) and five cases are pending in court. These are:
- Sylhet International University,
- Britannia University
- Central University of Science and Technology
- Southern University of Bangladesh
Some of the identified universities have been accused of running illegal campuses. Some have been accused of running unauthorized programs. A number of offenses have been announced and closed for various offenses including certificate trade.